Sunday, August 22, 2010

Okay. Such an extent of Anti-Islam activity may be going too far.

Far from Ground Zero, other plans for mosques run into vehement opposition

Now I am not a fan of Islam, but I do have to accept that we have a constitution that clearly states the law of "Freedom of Religion." I have to thank this constitution for allowing me to practice my religion, and anybody who lives in the US must thank the constitution to their freedom to practice their religion; whether they be Christian, Buddha, Jew, Atheist, Mormon etc. This right extends even to those religions we don't like. So when I see headlines like this, I have to take a step back and agree with those I do not wish to agree with. Yet, I do sympathize with the opponents.
Opponents crowded county meetings and held a noisy protest in the town square that drew hundreds, some carrying signs such as "Keep Tennessee Terror Free." 
Islam currently is not on the people of the US' good side. We have seen how a majority of the Middle East seems to be leaning towards "Radical Islam," and the threats made in those western countries that are increasingly Muslim. As far as I can tell, the "moderate Muslim" does not exist. Even if it did, I wouldn't be sure, since lying is allowed for the sake of the spread of Islam.So I am not surprised when I see this part of the article...
A Time magazine poll released Thursday found that 43 percent of Americans hold unfavorable views of Muslims, far outpacing the numbers for Mormons (29 percent), Catholics (17 percent), Jews (13 percent) and Protestants (13 percent). Twenty-five percent of those polled said most Muslims in the United States are not patriotic Americans.
 ...Because I am among the 43 percent. I do fear the spread of Islam in the US. However, we do not have the proof, now, that the Muslims in the US will head in the direction of extremism and, therefore, though they must be watched, they must be allowed to practice until we start seeing a harmful trend. If that trend starts to show, then the Extreme Right will be able to say, "I told you so," and the country better react. Until then, Freedom of Religion means exactly that and the Muslims have the same right as any other non-harmful cult/religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment